Welcome to my Blog

What a great way to make connections with people and share in my artistic journey. I hope that you enjoy my postings and get to know me better.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Glazing

Longbeach Surf, 30"x40", acrylic


I brought this painting home from a gallery and had another long look. I felt that it seemed a little blah, and I needed to warm it up. I decided to glaze the foreground with transparent red oxide and a little nickel azo gold. It seemed to bring some life back into the rocks. When an area is not working is does not always need a complete repainting. Glazes can add a degree of sophistication and sublety to the work. I find it works especially well if an area has become chalky because of too much white in the mix.  You can brighten, tone down and grey areas, all with glazes. The horizon looks a little curved but that is my photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment I appreciate the feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails